Demographics & Economy
Pitt County, also known as the Greenville, NC MSA is located halfway between Raleigh and the Outer Banks of North Carolina. With assets such as East Carolina University, Pitt Community College, the NC Pharmaceutical Services Network, and expanding industries such as Grady-White Boats, DSM Dyneema, Thermo Fisher Scientific, and Mayne Pharma, Pitt County boasts a well-diversified, growing and thriving economy. We have communities large and small that contribute to our distinction as the retail, educational, healthcare, recreational, and cultural hub of eastern NC. We invite you to take a look at our fast facts below and explore our website to learn more about how Pitt County is CREATING THE FUTURE.
- POPULATION: 176,484
- CIVILIAN LABOR FORCE: 91,348
- EDUCATIONAL ATTAINMENT: Bachelor’s Degree or Higher 32.8%
- MEDIAN HOUSEHOLD INCOME: $43,526
- MEDIAN HOME VALUE: $138,700
- EMPLOYMENT: 82,782
Increased 1.9% in region (2019)
- UNEMPLOYMENT RATE: 4.1% (Dec 2019)
- AVERAGE SALARY: $45,304
- COST OF LIVING: 13.8% below the national average
- LARGEST EMPLOYMENT SECTORS:
Health Care and Social Assistance (15,210)
Educational Services (14,749)
Retail Trade (9,727)
- Largest Cluster: Pharmaceuticals (LQ = 12.48)
This cluster employs 1,977 workers in the region with an average wage of $87,830.
- GDP: In 2018, nominal GDP in Pitt County, North Carolina expanded 4.0%. This follows growth of 3.3% in 2017. As of 2018, total GDP in Pitt County, North Carolina was $7,999,111,000.
Of the sectors in Pitt County, North Carolina, Manufacturing contributed the largest portion of GDP in 2018, $1,954,672,000 The next-largest contributions came from Health Care and Social Assistance ($1,140,009,000); Educational Services ($1,092,653,000); and Real Estate and Rental and Leasing ($704,400,000).
Reference: Chmura Jobs EQ