Greenville sits atop the list from relocation services provider Updater
Charlotte was among the top 20 for inbound growth year-round in 2020, according to a new report. But it’s another, smaller college town in North Carolina that tops this list.
Greenville sits atop the list from relocation services provider Updater, which analyzed a random sampling of 1.5 million household moves across the United States that took place from January through November 2020. The study was designed to fairly reflect the increase or decrease in a city’s residents based on each city’s population.
North Carolina had four cities in the top 20 – Raleigh and Wilmington were the other two.
- Americans departed the largest, most densely populated cities in the United States and took to smaller cities.
- Southern states that had been attractive destinations for years spiked during the pandemic.
- Two new North Carolina cities (Wilmington and Raleigh) joined the top 20 in 2020, making North Carolina the second-most-popular state on the list.
- Seventeen of the top 20 cities (all but Denver, Spokane and Reno) for inbound growth were year-round, warm weather cities.
“Many industries were negatively affected by the pandemic in 2020,” said Jenna Weinerman, vice president of marketing at Updater. “The moving industry was no different – moving during a shelter-in-place order was perceived to be extremely dangerous in early spring. However, as late spring and summer hit, many of America’s largest, most-populated cities experienced unprecedented resident loss, while smaller markets experienced unprecedented resident gains.”
Here are the top 20 from the Updater report:
- Greenville, North Carolina
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Tallahassee, Florida
- Denver, Colorado
- Spokane, Washington
- Nashville, Tennessee
- Raleigh, North Carolina
- Dallas, Texas
- Phoenix, Arizona
- Wilmington, North Carolina
- West Palm Beach, Florida
- Reno, Nevada
- Austin, Texas
- Tampa, Florida
- Orlando, Florida
- Charleston, South Carolina
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- Knoxville, Tennessee
- Fort Myers, Florida
Original story at: https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/12/28/updaters-top-20-cities-inbound-migration-raleigh.html